This delicious recipe is a colorful addition to any dinner table. For variety you can add other types of winter squash, or try using a dry Jack cheese in place of the grated Parmesan. Organic wine suggestion: Badger Mountain Chardonnay.
PER SERVING (2/3 cup): 211 cal, 16% fat cal, 4g fat, 1g sat fat, 3mg chol, 8g protein, 36g carb, 2g fiber, 265mg sodium
1. In a medium saucepan, combine broth and water; heat and keep warm.
2. In a separate saucepan, steam squash cubes in a steamer basket set over boiling water for 10–15 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
3. In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat 3 Tbs. olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, sage, and rosemary; sauté for 2 minutes. Add rice and stir thoroughly to coat. Add wine and stir until it absorbs, about 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup broth mixture and stir, allowing broth to absorb, about 2 minutes. Repeat, adding 1/2 cup broth at a time, stirring nearly constantly, allowing each addition to absorb before adding another (this takes about 20 minutes total).
4. Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 Tbs. olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, stir, and sauté for about 5 minutes.
5. After the last addition of broth, slowly stir in squash and mushrooms. Add Parmesan cheese and stir. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.