Black beans and pasilla chiles give this salad a Southwestern flavor, and red rice makes it fun and different. A lime vinaigrette brings it all together. You can use regular wild rice and store-bought corn. Black beans and wild rice both have protein for building muscles, bones, and blood, and fiber for gut health. Red rice also contains anthocyanins, antioxidants that protect the heart. The red pepper adds lots of the antioxidants vitamin A and C, which contribute to healthy, youthful-looking skin.
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained
½ cup cooked red rice
¼ cup julienned pasilla chiles (raw or roasted)
½ cup roasted corn kernels
½ cup julienned red bell pepper (raw or roasted)
½ cup diced, peeled, and seeded cucumber
½ cup chopped cilantro leaves
⅓ cup white balsamic vinegar
2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 tsp. sea salt or salt substitute
1. Toss the salad ingredients and chill in the refrigerator.
2. Whisk together the dressing ingredients.
3. Pour half of the dressing over the salad and toss thoroughly, evenly coating the rice, beans, and vegetables.
4. Chill for another 30 minutes.
5. Toss in the remaining dressing as desired and serve.